Shareholder FAQs

On this page you will find answers to questions that are frequently asked by shareholders. If you do not find the information that you are looking for please contact the Registrar, Equiniti.

General Shareholder FAQS

  • How do I transfer my Centrica shares?

    You may at some point wish to transfer some or all of your shares to someone else (for example your partner or other member of your family). To do this, you will need to complete a share transfer form, which is available from?Equiniti.

  • Is stamp duty payable on the share transfer?

    This is dependent on the nature of the share transfer. Guidelines about stamp duty are set out on the reverse of the share transfer form. If you require any further assistance contact Equiniti.

    A declaration concerning the application of stamp duty on the share transfer is set out on the reverse of the share transfer form and should be completed and signed by you before you return the form to Equiniti.

  • I want to hold Centrica shares for my children. How do I do this?

    You can buy shares in your children's names but there may be legal complications when you come to sell the shares.?Equiniti can give you more information.

  • My Centrica share certificate has been lost/stolen. What should I do?

    If you lose your share certificate, or it has been stolen, you should inform?Equiniti immediately. You can do this by calling the Centrica shareholder helpline on +44 (0)371 3842985*. A record of the lost share certificate will be made to prevent it being used and a letter of indemnity will be sent to you to sign. This is to protect Centrica from the possible misuse of your certificate while it is not in your possession. A replacement share certificate will then be sent to you. There is a charge for this service, so we advise you to keep your share certificate in a safe and secure place.

    *Calls to an 03 number cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number. Lines open 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (UK time), excluding public holidays in England and Wales.

  • I haven't received my last dividend cheque. Who do I contact?

    Please contact?Equiniti who can investigate the reason for non-receipt.

  • Can I have my Centrica dividends paid directly into my bank or building society account?

    Yes, providing you?complete, print and send this?mandate form?and have it endorsed by your bank or building society.

  • Will I still get notification of dividend payments if they are paid direct into my bank account?

    You will receive no concurrent postal notification of your dividend payments from Centrica. Instead, you will receive a personalised consolidated dividend confirmation, detailing all the dividend payments in the relevant tax year. These are mailed to you at the end of March each year, in time for you to complete your tax return.

    View dividend payment dates.

  • I have found an out-of-date dividend cheque. What can I do?

    Centrica dividend cheques may be cashed within one year of issue. After this time they need to be reissued. You can do this by returning the cheque to?Equiniti. There may be a fee for replacing the cheque. To avoid this problem, you should consider having your dividend cheques paid directly to your bank or building society account.

    This can be arranged by completing, printing and sending this?this mandate form?to Equiniti and have it endorsed by your bank or building society.

  • My partner or relative has passed away. What should I do about their shareholding?

    Please contact?Equiniti?at the earliest opportunity and they will assist you with the documentation required. This may involve the small estates procedure or require a Grant of Probate and they will be able to make the process as straightforward as possible for you.?

    View explanation of small estates procedure.

  • I am receiving two sets of Centrica communications. How can I stop this?

    This may mean that you have shares registered in two accounts with slightly different details. Sometimes, if shares are purchased at different times, the registration details given to?EquinitiEquiniti?might differ slightly on each occasion (e.g. Mr Paul A. Smith or Mr Paul Smith). This can result in our registrar opening two shareholder accounts. This in turn leads to a dividend cheque being issued in respect of each of the accounts each time a dividend is paid and in the duplication of other shareholder communications. If your shareholding is duplicated in this way, please?complete and sign an?account combination form and return it by post to?Equiniti.

  • Are shareholder communications available in alternative formats?

    If you would like to receive shareholder communications in alternative formats (large print, braille or audio tape), please register your name and address, shareholder account number and preferred format with Equiniti.

  • How do I sell my shares?

    Some high street banks provide facilities for buying and selling shares or you can contact a stockbroker. Alternatively, Centrica has made arrangements with?two independent share-dealing providers?to offer all shareholders competitive charges. Please see the share dealing facilities section of our website for more details.

  • What do I do if I move house?

    You should notify?Equiniti?in writing of changes, which you can do by completing a change of address form. If you hold shares in joint names, the request to change the address must be signed by the first-named shareholder. You can determine this from your share certificate or tax confirmation or by looking up your shareholding on the Shareview service.

  • What do I do if I change my name or get married?

    To ensure the details of your shareholding are correct on the register you should notify?Equiniti?in writing of any change to your name. You should also include a copy of your marriage certificate or change of name deed as evidence of your name change. If you need uncashed dividend cheques to be reissued in your new name, please also include them in your envelope.

  • Why was my 2019 interim dividend paid in cash, not in shares?

    On 30 July 2019, Centrica announced that it was terminating its Scrip Dividend Programme (the Programme) with effect from the 2019 interim dividend payable on 21 November 2019.? As a consequence, shareholders who had elected to join the Programme will now and in future receive their dividends as cash instead of shares.? Dividends will be paid to shareholders by cheque, or - where bank accounts details are held by the share registrar, Equiniti – by bank transfer.? Shareholders are encouraged to contact Equiniti to check their bank account details are up to date.

    Find further information regarding the termination of the Scrip Dividend Programme.

FlexiShare FAQS

  • I hold Centrica shares and would like to transfer them into FlexiShare. How do I do this?

    1. Download the FlexiShare Transfer Form by visiting My Investments in your Shareview Portfolio and clicking on your certificated Centrica shares, or alternatively request a FlexiShare Transfer Form by contacting the?shareholder helpline;
    2. Complete all relevant sections on the FlexiShare Transfer Form;
    3. Complete the reverse of the FlexiShare Transfer Form to provide details of dividend election;
    4. Ensure ALL holders sign the form where indicated;
    5. If you are unable to provide share certificates to cover the number of shares you are transferring, please complete and sign the Lost Share Certificate(s) section on the reverse of the FlexiShare Transfer Form;
    6. Send your completed form, enclosing any relevant share certificate(s) to Corporate Nominee Team, Equiniti, Aspect House, Spencer Road, Lancing, West Sussex BN99 6DA United Kingdom.
  • I have shares in FlexiShare and I wish to transfer them, but the new beneficial owner wants a share certificate.

    For this, you will need to complete, sign and return the Request for share certificate in another name form available by contacting the?shareholder helpline. There is no fee charged to you for this transfer.

  • I wish to transfer shares to another person within FlexiShare. How do I do this?

    Call the?shareholder helpline?and ask for the transfer form to transfer shares to another beneficial holder within the service. Once you and the new beneficial owner(s) of the shares have completed this form, return it to?Equiniti?FS along with any additional ID as requested by Equiniti FS and Equiniti FS will arrange to transfer your shares to the new beneficial owner(s).?

  • I've been burgled and my FlexiShare holding paperwork has been stolen. What can I do?

    You must inform Equiniti FS by telephone as soon as you get the opportunity and they will place a warning on the share register to protect your shareholding. For security purposes you may wish to have your shares transferred into a new holding and a new Shareholder Reference issued to you. If you wish to do this please write to Equiniti FS. In the meantime, you can check your holding on the?Shareview website?or contact Equiniti FS.

  • Can I use any other broker with the FlexiShare service?

    Centrica has made arrangements to allow FlexiShare account holders to buy and sell Centrica Shares at favourable commission rates with appointed providers. Shares held in FlexiShare cannot be sold directly through any other broker service. If you wish to use a broker not appointed to FlexiShare you must transfer your shares to another nominee provider or arrange for a share certificate to be issued to you. For further information please contact the?shareholder helpline.

  • My spouse/civil partner has Centrica share certificates in their own name. How do they join FlexiShare?

    As outlined above, you should contact the?shareholder helpline?and request a FlexiShare Transfer Form for your spouse or civil partner to transfer shares into FlexiShare.?

  • I don't wish to stay in the Centrica FlexiShare service, how do I request a share certificate?

    You have the right to withdraw from the FlexiShare service at any time. You should complete and return a transfer form, which is available from the?shareholder helpline. Your instructions will take effect immediately upon receipt but will not affect the completion of any transactions already initiated. Unless you instruct us otherwise, any shares held in the plan will be transferred into a holding in your own name and you will be sent a share certificate. There is no charge if you decide to leave the service.

  • I'm trying to buy/sell shares but cannot find the reference/account number that I need to quote.

    To buy/sell shares you will need your Shareholder Reference available on your FlexiShare statement or previous dividend confirmation/tax voucher. If you are unable to locate any of this paperwork please contact the?shareholder helpline?to arrange for a confirmation letter to be sent to the address held for you. Unfortunately, Equiniti is unable to give you this information over the telephone.